HOB Middle School Hours-First Bell 8:45-3:45
WEB… Upcoming Events and Activities
*Web Leader Training (8th Grade)
August 13-14, 2014: 8:00 am-1:00 pm in the HOB Gym.
This is mandatory 2-day training for all WEB Leaders.
*HOB WEB Orientation (6th Grade/ 8th Grade WEB Leaders)
August 15, 2014: 8:00 am -1:00 pm in the HOB Gym.
All 6th grade students are encouraged to attend.
For more information please click on the WEB link on the left hand side.
2014 HOB Summer Reading Challenge pamphlet.docx
REQUIRED UNIFORM/DRESS CODE
HOB Logo Shirts – Students must wear the approved HOB logo school shirts only. These are available at Ramona’s Shirt Put-on (296-9962) or at the HOB front office (t-shirts available only). Shirt colors are white, dark green, khaki, light blue, black, purple, teal, pink, yellow, and red for middle school PE. The cost is $8.00 for short sleeve t-shirts, $9 for scoop neck, $10 for V-neck, and $10 for polo style and long sleeve.
• Shirts may not be purchased from any other location.
• Shirts may not be layered with any other shirts or tied up in the back.
• On cold days, a long sleeve shirt of one of the uniform colors (see above) without words or logos can be worn underneath an HOB shirt.
• Uniform shirts must be worn even underneath the uniform jacket.
Pants, capris, shorts, skirts, skorts, or bottoms of any kind -
• Leggings, jeggings, yoga pants, and stretchy, spandex-type material bottoms of any kind are not permitted for students in grades 4th – 8th.
• Students may not wear multiple layers of bottoms
• No holes, cut-offs, fringed or frayed, boxer shorts, pajama bottoms, open weave, see-through types of material
• Should be worn at the waist and may not be rolled down at the waist
• Shorts, skirts, skorts, and dresses must not be shorter than the end of the thumb when the arms are straight down by the sides
Jackets – HOB logo hooded jackets are available at Ramona’s Shirt Put-on for $15.00 (without a zipper) or $20.00 (with a zipper). They are available in most of the uniform colors and are the only allowed jacket at HOB. Hoods should not be worn in the school building.
Shoes –Shoes must be worn at all times on campus. Tennis shoes or sneakers must be worn for Physical Education classes. For elementary students, tennis shoes or flat-bottomed shoes with back straps must be worn to school for safety on the playground and staircases. House or bedroom slippers or skate shoes are not an acceptable shoe for school.
Organization Shirts/Dress-down Days – Executive Board, Band, NJHS, AVID, Relay for Life and special clubs or groups with approval may wear different colors on specified days or events. On occasion the principal will allow a dress-down day when students may wear clothing other than the prescribed uniform. This will be on special occasions only. The students and/or parents will be notified.
Backpacks/bookbags/purses – students may bring backpacks/bookbags to school but must remove books and supplies in the morning before homeroom and store them in their locker or cubbie. Students may not use a backpack/bookbag during the day. After school students may place books and supplies in their backpacks/bookbags to carry home.
• Students may carry purses, however, to be considered a purse, it must not contain books and should be small enough that an HOB planner CANNOT fit inside.
• Students are permitted to wear buttons, jewelry, and other accessories (jewelry with spikes or wallets with chains are not allowed). However, any clothing, button, jewelry, or other accessories that contain vulgar, lewd, obscene, or offensive messages or anything else that may lead to substantial interference with school activities, including accessories advocating the use of alcohol, drugs, or making reference to or identifying gangs, weapons, etc. are not allowed.
• Trench coats are not allowed. Rain gear or rain jackets must be removed upon entering the building.
• Hats and sunglasses shall not be worn in the building (sunglasses should also not be worn on the head).
• Hair curlers or other distracting hair accessories are not allowed.
In the event that a student’s uniform shirt is not available on a particular day, please let us know with a note. One will be loaned, if available, or a student can purchase one. We want to work with you and your child.
If a student/family is having financial difficulty with purchasing the above uniform clothing, please notify the office staff, and we will work with you to acquire the necessary items.
Note: Students who fail to comply with the Uniform/Dress Code Policy shall be advised of the policy and offered the use of a clean shirt or bottoms for the day. The school shall attempt to contact the student’s parents. Students who repeatedly fail to dress in accordance with the Uniform/Dress Code Policy may be subject to disciplinary actions as set forth in the HOB Student/Parent Guide. The Administration reserves the right to judge what is appropriate or not.
To view the Monroe County School District Parent Involvement Plan visit the MCSD Title 1 website.
The Horace O’Bryant School Parent involvement plan is available in our front office. If you would like to review it in its entirety please let the front office know.
There are some changes in access for the PIV. Parents will log in through the same website as teachers and administrators at https://gradebook.keysschools.com/pinnacle/gradebook. Logins will continue to be the student ID number as the username and the student 5-digit lunch number as the password. Parents will no longer need to select the school from a drop-down list as they have in the past.
If parents wish to receive email notifications, they will need to sign up through the PIV. Once they have logged onto the PIV, they should click on Email Subscriptions on the left side of the screen under Options. If they do not have an email address on file, the next screen will prompt them to enter on through a Click Here link. Once they have created an email account in the system, they can select reports and parameters for reports.
Thank you for your patience and supporting our school!
Supervision in the cafeteria begins at 7:40a.m.. Parents dropping students off by car should come to the front drop-off area near the cafeteria. Parents should only drop off students in the front of the school. Please do not drop off students in the back parking lot or the Ashby and Catherine St. intersection. Parents are reminded not to park in the drop off lanes.
Elementary students coming by bike should lock their bike at the bike racks located in front of the office. Middle school students will use the bike rack in the rear of the school on Ashby St. Students who are walking may arrive at the front of the school or come through the side (Ashby Street) gate. Students are not permitted to enter through the back parking lot of the school.
The Ashby St. gate will only be open from 7:40 a.m. – 8:40 a.m. and from 3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m..
Thank you to Fish and Wildlife and the City of Key West for our beautiful new trees at HOB.